If you are dealing with gnat infestation in your house and checking the internet whether apple cider vinegar works against gnats, then the most straightforward answer to this question is YES.
Apple cider vinegar is effective against gnat infestation.
But how to eliminate gnat infestation using apple cider vinegar?
What are some preventive measures against gnats infestation?
If you have these questions, we recommend you read this article. Also, as a bonus, we have discussed other easy ways to keep gnats away. Now let’s get into the article.
What Causes Gnat Infestation?
Though gnats appear to be tiny little flying insects, when they come in a big swarm and roam around your house, they become quite a nuisance. So it is vital to get rid of them.
But before taking steps to get rid of gnats, you must know what invites them inside your house.
So below, we have listed a few causes that get gnats inside your house; they are
1. Moisture: Gnats don’t necessarily need water for their survival. Moisture keeps these tiny creatures going. Some moist breeding grounds for gnats include moist potting soil, overwatered plants, garbage cans, food spillage, puddles in the kitchen or any waste present outdoors, etc.
2. Fruits and vegetables: People often think that only fruit flies buzz around fruits or vegetables. But are unaware that gnats, as well, are attracted to sweet-smelling fruits. Also, gnats are attracted to rotten fruits or veggies.
3. Decaying organic material: Decaying material is the next favorite eatable for gnats, so they are drawn towards it. The organic material includes rotting plants or flowers, mold, moss, or compost.
4. Light: Gnats aren’t good fliers, especially in the dark. So they swarm around light fixtures and lamps.
5. Humans: Lastly, if you wonder why gnats keep buzzing around your face, it is because elements like body heat, sweat, tears from your eyes, CO2, and your mucus, etc. are attractive to gnats.
How to Eliminate Gnat Infestation Using Apple Cider Vinegar?
We have already discussed that apple cider vinegar is effective against gnats. But if you are wondering how to use it as a trap for gnats, then keep reading.
Prepare these ingredients.
- A few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar,
- A few drops of dish soap
- Tablespoon of sugar
Mix all these ingredients in a bowl and stir it well.
You can place the bowl in places where gnats dwell or even put it in a spray bottle and spray it in gnat-infested areas.
The apple cider vinegar and sugar attract gnats. When the gnats sit on the mixture, the dish soap traps them and eventually drowns them.
So this is how the apple cider vinegar mixture kills the gnats.
What are Other Ways to Get Rid of Gnats?
There are many traps to attract and kill gnats apart from apple cider vinegar. So in this section, we have added some gnat-trap ideas that help eliminate gnats. Let’s find out about them.
The Candle Trap
Place a candle into the candlestick and keep them in a small bowl or pan filled with water. Now turn off all the lights in your house and light the candle alone.
Since light attracts gnats, they come near the candle and get hit by the flame; either they die or fall into the water and drown.
This method must be tried in the evening or at night.
The Rotten Fruit Trap
Take an overripe fruit and place it in a small bowl or cup. Then cover it tightly with a plastic bag. Now perforate it using a pin and leave it. The fruit scent will invite the gnats inside the plastic covering and trap them inside.
The Wine Trap
You don’t have to invest in a wine bottle or use the one present in your house. Rather use some expired cooking wine because the scent greatly attracts gnats.
Pour some stale wine into a small vessel, add a few drops of dish soap, and place the mixture in the gnat-filled areas. This will get rid of gnats.
Bleach instantly kills gnats. If you find gnats converging around your kitchen sink drains, then pour diluted bleach solution on the sink and then pour one gallon of water. This will completely wash the gnats and their eggs.
If you are looking for some other ready-made ways to kill gnats, then invest in the chemical spray, a bug zapper, or flypaper. These are quick solutions to get rid of gnats. Unlike other methods given above, you need to shed some cash.
Note: Be careful when using a chemical spray. Wear gloves and a mask while using a chemical spray. Once the gnats are down, clean the place completely. Also, when using bug zapper, please be careful as you have to deal with electricity.
Preventive Measures to Handle Gnats
Some of the preventive measures to be taken to avoid gnats infestation.
- Get rid of damp areas by fixing your leaking pipes and faucets. If you find any condensation on the pipes, fix it using a foam insulator.
- Cover the food with a plate. Thoroughly wash your dirty dishes and drinking glasses as a slight hint of any food item will attract gnats.
- Don’t overwater the plants. Let the soil dry out between waterings.
- Clear the dead materials like dead leaves, twigs, flowers, and much more from the soil.
- Also, cover the trash cans and clear them whenever possible. Stinky trash or moist waste can become a haven for gnats.
Thanks for reading the complete article. By now, we hope that you got a clear understanding of how to use apple cider vinegar against gnats.
This simple, easily available product can keep the gnats away, but your work doesn’t end after killing gnats. It is recommended to regularly clean your house and follow the preventive measures.
However, if you can’t manage the gnat infestation, then seek professional help. But research well before choosing the pest control service. If you find this article useful, give it a big thumbs up and share it with your friend who needs to read it.